Mona's Blog

Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas Differences....

In addition to preparing for my trip to Mexico for New Years, I'm gearing myself up for Christmas. I'll be spending the holidays with James, Terralyn and their family, so it will be a very different Christmas for me, indeed. Of course, there are always different Christmas tradtions between families, but my family is particularly different from the "average American Christian family."

First of all, my siblings and I aren't Christian. Well, now....that does make things a bit different, doesn't it. We didn't celebrate Christmas until I was about 13 years old after moving to the United States. Even then, we never celebrated it like other families. It's much more casual and laid back. It's more about food and family with receiving gifts as more of a bonus. My family "tradition:"

I wake up Christmas day to my mom making sure she has everything cooked and organized. We then drive to my grandma's house (about an hour or less away) where my uncle and perhaps his friend, Bill, will also be. We help with any cooking/organizing that needs to be done there and then sit down to a nice meal at around 3:00 (give or take). Of course, there are desserts-o-plenty. Then, after we eat, we clean up a bit and start opening gifts. Usually the gifts are more simple and not in huge abundance. In fact, I usually just bake goodies for people as my gifts (brownies, fudge, cookies, whatever). Then we sit and chat for the rest of the evening, perhaps taking a nice winter stroll after all of our eating.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sounds like most family Christmas days' to me. Many people get to wrapped up in stuff anyhow they forget the Christ part of Christmas.

     
  • At 6:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As different as our family backgrounds are, I think we have a lot of similarities, too. Your family is practical and seems to prefer simplicity with events and activities, just like my family. Similar core values despite the surface differences.

     
  • At 6:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh no. I really was not talking about my family. Simplicity really is not part of the celebration. We have lots of decorations including managers and such. We go see the lights at the zoo, drive around to see the lights. Many different gathering and parties. Visiting neighbors and friends. Go to church services, lots of shopping and gifts, handfuls of traditions and tons of food for over a month. Even though there is a lot of commercial stuff in our celebrations I try to install the Christ part through books with Emma. I plan to do the advent candle when she gets old enough and other religious aspects along with all the party stuff.

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Woah! Amy! Your family decorates with managers!?!?!Are they live, or dead? Do they protest being stuck on your lawn? Do they try to make you do more with less? Institute a six sygma mentality? Personally, my family decorates with mangers, or nativity scenes. Sorry, I'm busting your chops about your type-o. We decorate a bit to get into the spirit of the holidays, but don't really get into the religious aspect of Christmas.

     
  • At 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ha Ha Ha!!!!! You see managers are so grumpy we incorporate them into our decorations to get them in the holiday joy :) Funny I had to read your comment twice. I did not recognize my spelling error the first time I read your comment!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home