Mona's Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Second Day...

Well, it's my second day at my new job. Things are going well so far. Everyone seems very nice and welcoming. Yesterday that had an ice-cream social for me to introduce me to everyone. They had vanilla and chocolate ice cream with a lot of different toppings. Yummy!

The drive to work isn't that bad at all. I've been so spoiled only having to travel 5 minutes to get to work over the last 3+ years, so I was really concerned that driving toward downtown would be a nightmare for me. It's not bad at all. It only takes me not quite 20 minutes to and fro. And I'm traveling in prime traffic time. So, that is an ease off my mind.

Plus, the culture here is similar to IR at Butler. Everyone is laid back, dress quite casually, not so worried about getting in on time, etc. So, that's nice not to have to worry so much about those details. The biggest difference is that I no longer have an office. The days of a private office with a big picture window overlooking beautiful Holcomb Gardens is over. I have a desk in a cube. I'm put off by that a bit, but it's a good way for me to get to know everyone more quickly. Sometimes an office can keep one hidden.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:53 AM , Blogger Dribs n' Drabs said...

    Congrats on the new job. I also had the experience of having an office at one time and since being in a cube. There are some down sides but I've adjusted. You do certainly get to interact with people alot more and know more of what is going on around the office.

     
  • At 9:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks, Dribs! I'm sure I'll adjust eventually to the cube. I brought in some headphones so I can listen to relaxing music when people get a bit loud.

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    I miss the office life sometimes. Or I miss the people at least. I think they like my working from home though so that I am away from normal folk. Plus, I can do my own thing. One could find me working in my tidy whities on a hat summer day. :-)

     
  • At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice, Eric! I got a visual of you sitting in front of a computer in your underwear. Whoo hoo!

     
  • At 4:18 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    I hope that visual didn't make you throw up in your mouth a little bit.

     
  • At 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have to say that cubicles are one of my worst work nightmares. I've yet to work in one, and I'm not looking forward to the day I might have to. Kris has a super cool cubicle though. His is modern and filled with ergonomic gear. Are you at least that lucky??

     
  • At 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nope! NO ergonomic gear. But that's OK. I'm lucky in that it's fairly private and the two co-workers nearest me are cool and somewhat quiet.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home