Mona's Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Some landlords are crooked. My current landlord is a jerk and I made the mistake of signing on for another year with him (a different house with the same landlord). Why on earth would I do this? Because the deposit transfers over to that house and I don't have to come up with about $2000 in rent/deposits in order to move into a place.

But yeah....he has this clause in his lease that states that tenants are responsible for repair and replacement of appliances if they need it. WHAT? There aren't too many perks to renting. Renting is actually a stupid thing to do because you're just pouring your money away rather than investing it. BUT, one of the perks of renting is that the crap in it isn't yours and so if it breaks down, you don't have to worry about it. NOT SO with my landlord. So, I did some digging and it turns out that what he's doing isn't even legal (at least I don't think it is from interpreting the information I found). Apparently there is a Warranty of Habitability law that states a landlord having certain obligations, including upkeep of appliances if they were on the premises of the rental unit at the start of a lease. And, the law also states that even if the landlord says shit in their lease about not having to repair appliances, that they have to anyway. In other words, they can't waive away this law.

So, to sum it up, my landlord is full of it. I'll sign his dumb lease and then when something breaks down, I'll inform him that he is full of it. That will be fun. Unfortunately, I don't have time to find another place because I have to move this weekend.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:06 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    yes, landlords do suck. My first apartment, the landlord tried to charge us thousands of dollars for clean up and repair. Glad that you found the legal loop hole about the appliance repair. Those fuckers will try to do anything to drain more money out of you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home