Mona's Blog

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Latino Connection

So, in the 3.5 years that I worked at Butler, I befriended several Latino men that work in the grounds maintenance department. I met them at a Butler Clean Sweep event (a volunteer effort to clean up campus) and ever since then, I have been a favorite for them to wave and say hello to whenever they would see me on campus. I hadn't seen them since I started working at IUPUI, but saw them today as I was on a beautiful spring walk (blue skies, 60 degrees with every flower in bloom you can imagine...on trees, bushes, etc) through Butler campus. Things I like about my "Latino Connection" (my endearing name for them):
  • They are always excited to see me.
  • They smile and wave at me even if I'm almost a mile away.
  • As I approach, they happily yell out Spanish greetings to me, only half of which I'm familiar.
  • They call me 'Monita,' which I love!

Today was a special day. I got a traditional Hispanic greeting from one of them (a quick cheek to cheek touch with a kiss that doesn't actually kiss your cheek) and he gave me his card for his jewelry business. Apparently I'm to call him to get rings whenever I get married. We'll see about that one.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:27 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Are they familiar with Mello Smello air freshiner? Maybe not since they do the out door stuff.

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't know! I'll have to ask them. I'm sure they've heard of it. I mean...come on! Who hasn't heard of it?

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ummm..... I haven't. Should I be familiar..... then again does it surprise anyone that I don't have a clue??? Ok I just asked Kris and he doesn't know either. His guess is that it's a SNL thing??

     
  • At 4:16 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    It was a highschool Spanish class thing. Mona and I (I think Holly too?) made a Spanish commercial for an air freshiner called Mello Smello (pronounced MAY-O SMAY-O) that could eliminate any nasty smell. It was truly idiotic and hilarious! Fun stuff. I am not suprised that you've never heard of it.

     
  • At 5:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No....not Holly. It was that guy...I think his name was Jon. He was the one that dressed up as Mello Smello Hombre.

     
  • At 6:10 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Oh, I think Holly was in my Spanish class a different year. Was it John Burket?

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger JamiM said...

    Hi! Sorry to use your comments for this purpose, but I notice you are friends with Terralyn Winters Seilkopf. We were good friends when she lived in GA. Could you PLEASE have her email me at: jamimaguire@hotmail.com? I've been trying to get in touch with her for forever! Thank you!

     
  • At 3:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whew... I thought it was yet another instance of me not knowing basic American knowledge stuff. Man.... I wish I had been in your Spanish class!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home