Mona's Blog

Friday, January 20, 2006

I've been fortunate to have had jobs that have utilized a variety of my strengths and weaknesses. My current job has taught me a lot about what really motivates me. I'm such a people-person, it's actually quite striking. When I'm in my office for long periods of time doing "desk-work" I get really down and lose motivation quickly. But when I'm interacting with people...in meetings, consultations, teaching a class, even talking on the phone....it doesn't feel like work to me. I love it!

Looking back, this important characteristic of my personality seems obvious. As a child, I hated being alone....I always wanted to have people around. My main problem in school was "talking too much with my neighbors." Even in high school....I remember when Nate Bersee and I had to be separated in band class because we talked and goofed around too much. I was a senior in high school and had to be separated from my "neighbor." And looking back at all my jobs....the jobs I enjoyed the most were the ones in which I interacted with people the most. My sales job, while mundane and not very challenging, was OK because I was constantly on the phone with clients. My job as a lab assistant, however, was torture. I would spend hours in the lab by myself working on web stuff by myself. Then I got my teaching job at Indiana University....it was the hardest job I ever had and the one I loved the most. Being in charge of a group of 30 undergraduate students was daunting at first, but it got easier with time and was SO much fun.

The problem right now is that most of my job seems to be desk work. I'd say I have to do about 75 percent of my work independently and most of the time I feel like I did when I was a lab assistant. It can be pretty awful. That's why I think it's so important for me to get back to teaching again. It's such a tough job, but it's also so much fun. And I'm excited that I finally have somewhat of an idea of my future career endeavors.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:39 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Well, hopfully you will find a job that has the right balance of challenge and fulfillment. I realy need to try to find a new job. I'm getting burned out at my current job.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home