Mona's Blog

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Little Duckling

I had an interesting walk this morning. I departed my house at 10am to take my long walk-route, which a portion of takes me along the canal path. As I was walking along the canal, I noticed a little duckling all by itself without a mommy or other ducklings in sight. That's very unusual since the mommy ducks are usually very protective of their babies. So, I sat and watched it for about 10 minutes to see what was up. No mommy appeared and worse than that, it seemed the duckling wasn't doing so well. It was awkward, weak and wobbled as it swam and walked. After another round of walking around a bit to see if I could find a mommy, I decided to take the duckling home with me and call the wildlife refuge place (a number I have saved in my phone). Walking 2 miles while carrying a baby duck in your hands is quite an interesting experience.

After getting the number for a duck lady in Indianapolis, I put the baby duck in a box and drove the 20 miles to Westfield area to give her the duck. Unfortunately, the poor little guy didn't make it. He died within 10 minutes of me being with the duck lady. I was very upset. Rest in peace little baby ducky.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ohhh... Sorry the little guy didn't make it. But you did a whole lot more than most people would do... and that's really admirable!!!!

     
  • At 4:41 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Heart of gold Mona. Heart of gold.....Betsy is right. Most people wouldn't give the little guy a second thought much less carry it around for two miles.

     
  • At 5:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks, guys! I appreciate the kind comments. I wish the story had a happy ending, but that's just how it goes sometimes with wild animals. Still, it's sad when it happens.

     
  • At 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    awww. that is so sad! did you bury him?

     
  • At 5:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I assume the duck-lady buried him. Since she had experience with this sort of thing, I just let her deal with the remains.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home