Mona's Blog

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bill Clinton spoke at Hinkle Fieldhouse Sunday night at Butler University (the University where I work). It was a really interesting and sometimes touching speach. He had a lot to say about diversity (the theme of all the speakers coming to Butler this year), but also touched on four major problems that he feels the US is facing today: Terrorism, corrupt foriegn governments, poverty and climate change. Here's an article about the visit on Butler's website: Clinton Addresses Hinkle Crowd and another article from the Indy Star: US Alienating Others, Clinton Says, which is a totally annoying headline since the main point of his speach were the four major problems facing the US and how we can address those problems, NOT that the US was alienating others. The Indy Star is run by a bunch of conservatives, so it's to be expected that they would try to make Clinton seem like he was bad-mouthing and complaining instead of coming up with creative, feasible, and eloquent solutions to complex problems.

At any rate...I admit that I have, until fairly recently, been completely uninterested in politics. I've taken a back-seat to it all, which was especially true in my much-younger years when Clinton was in office. So, I had never really been thoughtful and interested when I may have heard him speak in the past. I was surprised at how sincere and thought-provoking he was and I agreed with most of what he had to say. It was inspiring and made me want to go out and "make a difference" somehow. Cool stuff.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:49 PM , Blogger Eidolon said...

    Why the sudden, rekindled interest in politics? If you want to become more involved, I know of a cause and organization or two and can hook you up! ;)

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Mona said...

    Hi Sethly. :)

    Hmmmm...I wonder what organization you would want me to be involved with. I have noooo idea. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home