Mona's Blog

Thursday, October 06, 2005

OK, so I've been completely annoyed with work the last few weeks. it's been even worse this week. And what sucks is that me moving to a new place, while a blessing, is also making me feel like I have to stay at my job....you know, the whole paying rent thing. So, I'm in my new place but I don't even feel like I can enjoy it because it makes me feel trapped since my job sucks so much. Didja follow that? So, I was depressed last night (which is unusual for me...I hardly ever get depressed) and I was still depressed this morning, even after my morning run (which is even more unusual). I just can't force myself to stay here just for the money and benefits. Is it practical to stay here? Yes, but how smart is it to force yourself to do something when it has such a negative effect on my emotional, mental, and physical well-being?? In other words, why force myself to be miserable just for money? I was brought up with values that did not hold money and materialistic things in high regard. Therefore, why the hell am I staying for money?

So, I'm trying to devise a plan to make much needed change in my life. I think I'm going to quit this Spring semester, take classes part-time, work a part-time job and get student loans. Student loans tend to scare me a bit, but how many people out there have two degrees and no student loans? Not too many....I've been really lucky up to this point, and perhaps it's finally time for me to join the masses and acquire some student loans.

But yeah, it's not the most straigh-forward plan, but maybe my life needs a bit of messing up in order to make some real damn change. I can't keep focusing my energy on something that doesn't "do it" for me. I need to start focusing on positive things.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM , Blogger Woody! said...

    Don't get too hard on yourself. You're not selling out or holding money in high regard. You're doing this to be self-sufficient and maintain a quality of life. On the other hand, you're right in that you don't want your unhappiness at work to creep into the rest of your life. Have you thought of hiring a headhunter? They go through all the work of finding you a job so you don't have to.

     
  • At 2:13 PM , Blogger Mona said...

    Yeaaah...headhunters are definitely good in a lot of cases. But since I'm in the midst of wanting a career-shift and not having the credentials for the career I'd like to shift into, I don't think headhunters would find me very appealing. :)

    But you're right. I tend to be hard on myself. Thanks for the encouraging words.

     
  • At 5:33 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    I'm sure that everything will work out for you. Sorry that your job is sucking for you. I'm in the same boat. At least now I can work from home so that I can see the family a bit more. It's good that you are single because it gives you the freedom to make big changes in your life. I have to stay at a shitty job so that I can support the kids. It's worth it though. And to take a page from Woody's blog:

    " A lot of people go to college for seven years."

    "Yeah, they're called doctors" -Tommy Boy

     
  • At 8:34 AM , Blogger james said...

    I agree with Woody. Don't be too hard on yourself. You were thinking of making a big change in about a year right? Hey guess when your lease ends. Nice timing!

    How 'bout a plan that involves planning on severely disrupting your life in a year but not planning exactly how you're going to go about that. I like it. The classic planning to not have a plan.

    Don't stay at your job if it sucks the life out of you. You know my feelings on that matter.

    And just remember, I'm the guy that technically took sever years and walked out with a regular degree, not even a minor. Although I do like to say that I minored in the Study of Life :)

     
  • At 11:04 AM , Blogger Mona said...

    Awww...my friends are so cool. Such an encouraging bunch of empathetic folks. Thanks. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home