Mona's Blog

Friday, October 14, 2005

I made a resolution this week to stop compromising myself. It's pretty amazing how "being nice" to everyone pretty much all of the time....which until recently, being nice also means not disappointing people....means that I am constantly compromising myself. Going a little further than you really wanted to, letting people get away with taking advantage of you just a little bit, feeling guilty for not being able to help/do something/whatever when it's not something that can be helped, letting people say things to you that are unnacceptable but just taking it. There are lots of little ways that I was letting boundaries be crossed and I've decided that I need to be more aware so I can change that.

The first step was to let my boss know how sucky my job has been. It was very liberating! I laid it all out to him. The problems that exist, why I think the problems exist, potential solutions to the problems, and what will happen if solutions aren't carried out (I will quit for sure). He was extremely receptive and we talked about things for an hour-and-a-half. He actually commiserated a bit with me, too. So, we're both on the same page and it was great to be able to lift the burden off my shoulders and have him share it with me.

My next focus will be to make sure I'm giving myself enough "me-time." I tend to never say "no" when people ask me to do things. I think I'm also going to start doing Yoga. I will become one with myself. (You're supposed to read that last sentence as though you are saying it in a very peaceful, breathy tone). :)

3 Comments:

  • At 9:31 PM , Blogger Woody! said...

    Congrats on not compromising. It sounds like your new resolution is working for you. It sounds like when George Constanza decided to do the opposite of what he normally did. Worked for him, sounds like this is working for you.

     
  • At 5:21 PM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    It's good that the person that you work or is receptive to ideas. Most of my ideas about my job are ignored. Of course, firing half of the incompetent people I work with is considered 'extreme' by management. They'd rather lower standardsso that they can keep their jobs. Goob for me though. I can completely half ass and still meet my production numbers. My job makes everyone sad.

     
  • At 8:26 PM , Blogger Mona said...

    Yeah...so far it's working. I'm not used to taking stands, so I have to make an extra effort to be conciously aware of when I let things slide (things that I shouldn't let slide....sometimes you *should* let things slide, but not always). Thanks for the support, guys! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home