Mona's Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Belly Dancing....Alluring or Dumb?

So, my friend Terralyn and I are taking Belly Dancing classes. The class is one night per week for the next 6 weeks. I had my first class last night and I'm not sure how I feel about it. As I drove to the lesson last night, I was hoping that it would be an interesting way to get a different workout. But as it turns out, I didn't break a sweat and my stomach muscles aren't even sore today. In addition to that, as I looked around the room of women doing all the "sultry" and "sexy" moves, I decided that belly-dancing doesn't make any of us look sexy whatsoever. We looked more like a group of women trying to synchronize swim....except, of course, we weren't actually swimming. And come to think of it, we weren't in synch, either. Ok, I take it back....we looked like a bunch of women dancing really badly. But perhaps I just need to give it more of a chance. I just find it hard to believe that me trying to shimmy my hips around is going to turn out positively.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    One question: What were you wearing?....I need to know to complete the sexy image in my head. Were tassels involved?

    To answer your question, It can be alluring, if done correctly. Shimmying and shaking.....Hot. If the women are uncoordinated, I can see how it could be not so hot and a bit disturbing. Can you try a stipper excercise class next? .....THAT would be hot. :)

     
  • At 9:04 AM , Blogger Woody! said...

    Disappointing that it didn't provide much of a workout. But I'm sure the unsexy movements were because you're all still awkward and new. "Sultry" doesn't come until more practice, I would guess. Even the strippercise class would probably take a few weeks before it gets properly sexy.

     
  • At 10:06 AM , Blogger Mona said...

    Ha! You guys are funny. I was wearing normal workout clothes, Eric. Although she is buying those belt thingies that you tie around your hips with all the coin-looking things sewn on it so that we make noise as we shimmy.

    And you're probably right, Woody. It will take a few weeks before we get our groove on. Maybe it will be sexy, yet!

     
  • At 4:50 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Pictures....that's all I ask. Maybe a short movie clip?...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home