Mona's Blog

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Everything Artsy

I was recently invited to go to a play. I accepted despite my history of finding plays not as appealing as other activities. This play was.....really different. I'm sure as far as plays go, it was fairly normal, but I was expected a story-line with a beginning and an end to a plot of some sort. And while it had all of this, it was overshadowed by sights, sounds, and drama. The play was really more like a painting....or at least you needed to think of it more as art than a "traditional play."

And it was really difficult for me. For the beginning of the play, I just sat there thinking "What the hell is this?" And so I had to conciously stop my practical voice and just rely on my senses and feelings to get me through the rest of it without being critical. And I think it was a really good experience for me.

SO....due to this experience I have decided that I'm going to re-establish the artsy side of my personality. Growing up, I loved art classes. I loved band (OK, so I sucked at playing the bassoon even though I played for seven years, but there were still times when we would be playing a piece and I could feel myself get lost in the beauty of the experience. It was awesome). I naturally gravitated toward these right-brained activites and once college started, I abandoned it all. NO MORE! And working in a University environment is perfect for further exploration in this arena.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home