Mona's Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Searching for rentals sucks

So, a few weeks ago, as you all read in a previous post, I met my new roommate. She and I have been house-hunting for a rental and man, it sucks. I forget how stressful this process can be. It wouldn't be so bad, except that there is a big time-limit since I'll be gone for three weeks on vacation. We're hoping to find a place before I leave, but that's proving to be quite an endeavor....and with only a week left before I leave, it's getting a bit close for comfort. But, if we wait until I get back, that only leaves me three weeks before I have to leave my current dwelling, so that's a time-crunch, too. Pain in the ass!

So, the places we've looked at so far all seem to be a piece on the inside. A washer and dryer from the 70's, an oven that looked like it could have been originally built by the Pilgrims, bathrooms with tubs in them that are damn scary, floors that look like they've been danced on by professional cloggers. OH, and the house I saw yesterday. The current tenants had 3 dogs and 4 cats. Except that I couldn't find any of the animals with all the stuff piled up in their place. OH, and I can't forget the one place with the land-lady that yelled rather than talked (and in broken English).

But tonight I'm supposed to look at a place that looks promising on the outside. Wish me luck!!!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Searching for a rental does suck. People currently in the dwelling treat rentals like crap and the land lords are more concerned with filling their vacancies rather than cleaning them first. I'm so glad I own. True, I am responsible for all of the repairs, but I get to do whatever I want as far as painting, floors, etc. Good luck finding a place you like.

     
  • At 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks! Yeah, the place we saw last night is so nice! We submitted an application, but apparently a lot of others did, too. Hopefully they'll choose us! I don't want to search anymore.

     
  • At 6:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was lucky. I only moved to rental dwelling three times. Two of which were in school and they were all very decent to excellent. Our current renter is moving out now. I am so glad to be getting rid of the rental. Pain in the butt, but I had to admit it was nice having someone else pay our house payment for us. But, I have to say we have made so many improvements to the rental. Of course not as many to our part of the house :) Keep us posted I am wondering.

     
  • At 6:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    They didn't choose us because we didn't want to pay their full asking price in rent. They wanted $1095 per month for a two bedroom duplex! That seems like too much and so we said we would go as high as $950. But apparently she got people who were willing to pay the full price. So, it's back to the drawing board.

     
  • At 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW! Housing is expensive in your area!

     
  • At 8:06 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Well, it may seem expensive, but there is a bit of a difference bewteen renting half of a duplex and renting an apartment. I wouldn't pay that much in rent either though, since it is more than our first house payment. People just tend to be more willing to pay more for renting a house. Some people at least. I don't blame you for trying to ask for lower rent. Ever think of trying to buy? If you live there for more than a year, you can usually make money on the transaction as long as your property value doesn't go down. You could even buy a fix-er-upper and make a big profit over a year. It's alot of work though. Jess and I talked about doing that later in life after the kids are bigger. With your time table, it probably wouldn't work. It takes even longer to buy a house.

     
  • At 6:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, housing is expensive in this part of Indianapolis. But it's because it's a popular part of Indianapolis. You go east, west or south and housing is considerably lower. We found a place that is a likely candidate. It's $900 per month and much more roomy than the other place.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home