Mona's Blog

Monday, October 22, 2007

Definitely an Adventure

The Adventure Race on Saturday was definitely an interesting time. Lindsay and I spent Friday evening buying supplies that we needed for the race. We decided that spending the night in a yurt on Friday would not be cool, so we got up at 5:00AM on Saturday morning in order to get to St. Paul Indiana by the 7:00 check-in time. Whoa....that sucked.

The race itself was pretty cool. It consisted of:


  • Walking (or running if you're hard-core) through this small town to gather a bunch of clues.

  • Riding our bikes for 16 miles on country roads to gather more clues.

  • An archery event (I did pretty OK with the targets)

  • Canoing, which consisted of us having to get out into the water and carry our canoe over a rocky portion in the river

  • Mountain biking for a few miles gathering more clues

  • Jogging through the woods getting the final clues, which Lindsay and I opted out of

Oh yeah, and there was a climbing event, too.....but they had the climbing event after 16 miles of biking and Lindsay and I weren't feeling it. Had the climbing event been before the ride, I would have been all over it. Needless to say, Sunday I sat on my ass all day and did nothing except recuperate.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Wow! Sounds pretty involved. Something like that would have kicked my ass. I guess if I paced myself, I could probably manage. What were the clues for? Was there a treasure or prize if you followed all of the clues? Were there tables filled with cups of water for you to grab and toss on your head?

     
  • At 1:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're funny. The clues were things like "What are the first three numbers on top of the telephone pole for location #33 on your map." So, we would bike/hike/canoe or whatever to that location on our map and see what the answer was to the question. I don't know if there was a prize if you won or not. And no.....no tables with water to splash on our faces, although that would have been kinda nice.

     
  • At 8:39 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    I see. So it was like running a triathalon? you do it for the accomplishment and enjoyment of the sport? I am too competative for things like that, I think. If I am in a sport, I want to win. I'm not a bad loser, but I get down on myself if losing is my fault (in a team sport). Like, if I need to get a spare in bowling for my team to win, but I don't, I get mad.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home