Mona's Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

HR Orientation...

I had my HR orientation yesterday for my new job. It was ALL day and, while parts of it were important, it was quite painful to sit through. I learned about what to do if there is a chemical spill, how to lift heavy packages appropriately, what stretches to do every hour of sitting, what asbestos is and who to call if I need to access a room with asbestos in it, and other riveting topics that I probably won't ever encounter on the job. But the second half was important, as they went through all the benefits and helped us fill out the information for our benefits application. OK, so I don't want to sound as though I'm bragging, but I was shocked and amazed....health insurance here only costs me $1 per month. ONE DOLLAR! That is a first for me. For a family, it only costs $80. Wow!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:47 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Wow. $1 health care???? Isn't Bush still president? That is awesome, Mona. never quit that job. I had to get the not-so-good insurance just so I could afford it. If I paid for the premium insurance, it would probably be half my paycheck every week.

    Bush sucks.

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah, I guess it's a benefit for working within an institution that has thousands of employees. And yes, Bush does indeed suck.

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah - Bush does suck!

    Of all the job perks to have, free insurance has to rank pretty darn high. We went to see Sicko, and there were people in the theatre that were crying during parts of the movie. I'm not a huge fan of Roger Moore. His methods aren't very honest, but he did make some very good points in that movie!

    Maybe you're really working for a Canadian University, and that's why your health insurance is so cheap. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home