Mona's Blog

Monday, November 12, 2007

Cooking....Palestinian style

So, I decided that I should start cooking more. Not only because it's healthier, but also because it saves money. With my new endeavor of trying to pay off my car in the next 6 months, I am trying to stay on a strict budget.

Since I am going to cook meals, I decided to finally make some family recipes that my mom learned from my dad's mom. I grew up on this Palestinian food and it's oooohhhhh soooo gooood. Last week I made yukhnee bandora. This week, I made macaroneh. Basically, they are both a bunch of tomatoes, with a bunch of meat.... and then spices that Americans wouldn't normally use with meat and tomatoes. I now have enough food to feed an entire army, as the portions my mom's recipes make are quite gigantic.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:57 AM , Blogger Eric Rhodes said...

    Are you allowed to share these recipies? I think I would like these things. I could share some recipies too. I have lots.

     
  • At 11:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Of course!! Here is the recipe for Yukhnee Bandora:


    -2 lbs of ground beef or lamb
    -2 large onions
    -2 or 3 24-oz cans of whole tomatoes
    -2 6-oz cans of tomato paste
    -3 tsp Cinnamon
    -2 tsp Allspice
    -2 tsp Salt
    -2 tsp Pepper
    -7 Garlic cloves
    -1 cup Pine nuts
    -a buncha Rice

    Meat-Mix:
    Chop up the onions and put in a large skillet with the meat. Use about 1.5 tsp of Cinnamon and 1 tsp of Allspice. Salt and Pepper to taste (about 1 tsp each). Cook until very well done.

    Tomato-Base Sauce:
    Add the cans of whole tomatoes together in a large pot. Squish them up with your hands. Add the tomato paste. Add water (about a cup or two) and mix well. Add the remainder of spices to this (Cinnamon, Allspice, Salt, Pepper).

    Combining Things:
    Add the meat-mix to the tomatoe sauce. Put in all of the whole garlic cloves. Simmer on low heat for several hours (about 2 or 3). Eventually make some rice and, before serving, sautee pine nuts in butter or olive oil until golden brown. Put the pine nuts on top of the meat/tomato sauce and serve over rice.

     
  • At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5:56 AM , Blogger Mona said...

    I was thinking about it some more, and I think I had too many spices in the sauce part of this recipe. I would actually cut down the amount of Cinnamon and Allspice (and maybe the salt and pepper). I would say start with 3/4 tsp of Cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of Allspice in the tomatoe sauce. 1/2 tsp Salt and Pepper and see how it tastes. Add more of everything if you think it needs it. I stick by the proportions of spices for the meat, tho.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home